Re: Debug optimized code; Now: How many compiler bugs have you seen?

Jon Forrest <jlforrest@berkeley.edu>
Thu, 25 Sep 2008 11:25:31 -0700

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Debug optimized code linuxkaffee_@_gmx.net (Stephan Ceram) (2008-09-16)
Re: Debug optimized code gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2008-09-20)
Re: Debug optimized code sh006d3592@blueyonder.co.uk (Stephen Horne) (2008-09-22)
Re: Debug optimized code gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2008-09-23)
Was: Debug optimized code; Now: How many compiler bugs have you seen? cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2008-09-24)
Re: Debug optimized code; Now: How many compiler bugs have you seen? armelasselin@hotmail.com (Armel) (2008-09-24)
Re: Debug optimized code; Now: How many compiler bugs have you seen? damian.thomas@unisys.com (Damian Thomas) (2008-09-25)
Re: Debug optimized code; Now: How many compiler bugs have you seen? jlforrest@berkeley.edu (Jon Forrest) (2008-09-25)
Re: Debug optimized code; Now: How many compiler bugs have you seen? marcov@stack.nl (Marco van de Voort) (2008-09-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Jon Forrest <jlforrest@berkeley.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 11:25:31 -0700
Posted-Date: 26 Sep 2008 07:46:44 EDT

Long ago, probably around 1978, I was doing some piece work for one of
the very early microcomputer vendors, Polymorphic Systems. Things were
*very* primitive back then. They loaned me a huge machine with 64K
bytes of RAM and 2 8" floppies to do development on. This machine ran
Polymorphic's own operating system and Basic interpreter. My job was
to write some application software. I'd only get paid when I delivered
working software.

Anyways, it seemed like whenever I was making progress on my project
I'd hit a bug in the Basic intrepreter. I then had to go over to the
office where the Basic developers worked, show them the bug, and get
them to fix it. I didn't have a car, and only a very old funky bike.

It got to the point where I was spending so much time finding bugs
that I was making no progress on my project, and I wasn't getting paid
for all the time I was spending. So I told them that I wanted to be
paid $50 for each bug I found. To my pleasure, they agreed.

I never finished that project, but I did end up with a very nice
mid-range bike, paid for with the money that I earned finding bugs in
their Basic interpreter.

Cordially,

--
Jon Forrest