Re: Was: Debug optimized code; Now: How many compiler bugs have you seen?

Stephen Horne <sh006d3592@blueyonder.co.uk>
Thu, 25 Sep 2008 05:12:49 +0100

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Debug optimized code linuxkaffee_@_gmx.net (Stephan Ceram) (2008-09-16)
Re: Debug optimized code gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2008-09-20)
Re: Debug optimized code sh006d3592@blueyonder.co.uk (Stephen Horne) (2008-09-22)
Re: Debug optimized code gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2008-09-23)
Was: Debug optimized code; Now: How many compiler bugs have you seen? cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2008-09-24)
Re: Was: Debug optimized code; Now: How many compiler bugs have you se ArarghMail809@Arargh.com (2008-09-24)
Re: Was: Debug optimized code; Now: How many compiler bugs have you se n.pipenbrinck@cubic.org (Nils) (2008-09-25)
Re: Was: Debug optimized code; Now: How many compiler bugs have you se sh006d3592@blueyonder.co.uk (Stephen Horne) (2008-09-25)
Re: Was: Debug optimized code; Now: How many compiler bugs have you se gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2008-09-25)
Re: Was: Debug optimized code; Now: How many compiler bugs have you se dot@dotat.at (Tony Finch) (2008-09-25)
Re: Was: Debug optimized code; Now: How many compiler bugs have you se cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2008-09-25)
Re: Was: Debug optimized code; Now: How many compiler bugs have you se jfc@mit.edu (2008-10-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Stephen Horne <sh006d3592@blueyonder.co.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 05:12:49 +0100
Posted-Date: 25 Sep 2008 11:42:53 EDT

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 12:46:15 -0400, Chris F Clark
<cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com> wrote:

>George Neuner <gneuner2@comcast.net> writes:
>
>> Not to mention that the compiler itself is more likely to have
>> strangely interacting bugs in its higher optimization levels.
>
>People often mention this and having workied on compilers I've seen my
>shared of bugs (from the inside). However, as a compiler customer I
>can only recall two times in my career where I've actually encountered
>a bug that was in the compiler and not in "my" code (the code I was
>working on).

I vaguely remember a case, in the late 90s, using a C compiler for an
80C196KC where the compiler was the prime suspect, but I don't recall
the details or even if it was ever confirmed.

I remember a case where the compiler was blamed, but the real cause
was order-of-evaluation in an expression something like...

    x = fn (lookup [a++], lookup [a++]);

I remember lots and lots of bugs in an interpreted scripting language
for generating reports - that I was writing at the time :-(

Even then, the bugs were in the reporting logic, not really the
scripting language.

Other than that, I think I've had a few bugs where I couldn't build
the code at all because symbols weren't included in the object files
or similar - could have been DLL related. I think that was in Borland
C++ 5-ish (5.01 or 5.02).

Basically, I've never had a confirmed compiler-bug cause a run-time
error in release code that I remember. A few suspicions, heard a few
stories, but nothing ever confirmed. But I have had plenty of
pointer-handling bugs, undefined-order-of-execution issues, and
memset-to-null wiping the virtual pointer issues.