Software Pipelining

Tim Frink <plfriko@yahoo.de>
26 Aug 2008 14:57:06 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Software Pipelining plfriko@yahoo.de (Tim Frink) (2008-08-26)
Re:Software Pipelining Jatin_Bhateja@mentor.com (Jatin Bhateja) (2008-08-28)
Re:Software Pipelining plfriko@yahoo.de (Tim Frink) (2008-08-28)
Re: Software Pipelining pertti.kellomaki@tut.fi (Pertti Kellomaki) (2008-08-29)
Re: Software Pipelining mr.neeraj@gmail.com (Neeraj Goel) (2008-09-02)
Re: Software Pipelining sidtouati@inria.fr (Touati Sid) (2008-09-08)
Re: Software Pipelining kamalpr@hp.com (kamal) (2008-09-10)

From: Tim Frink <plfriko@yahoo.de>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 26 Aug 2008 14:57:06 GMT
Posted-Date: 26 Aug 2008 23:33:35 EDT

Hi,

Software pipelining is a technique to reorder loops to achieve more
parallelism at the instruction level. I was wondering if this
optimization is mainly beneficial for processors that have multiple
functional units like VLIWs, or can significant performance
improvements be also achieved for RISC processors with a restricted
number of functional unis like just two 4-stage pipelines?

I was also wondering if software pipelining can benefit from profiling
information, i.e. can the knowledge about frequently executed paths be
exploited for a better pipelining? Do you know any successful
applications?

Regards,
Tim