Implementing data flow analysis in single pass parser

Madhu-K7 <madhusudhanank@gmail.com>
Fri, 18 Jul 2008 11:03:03 -0700 (PDT)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Implementing data flow analysis in single pass parser madhusudhanank@gmail.com (Madhu-K7) (2008-07-18)
Re: Implementing data flow analysis in single pass parser johnhull2008@gmail.com (johnhull2008) (2008-07-28)
Re: Implementing data flow analysis in single pass parser madhusudhanank@gmail.com (Madhu-K7) (2008-07-30)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Madhu-K7 <madhusudhanank@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 11:03:03 -0700 (PDT)
Posted-Date: 19 Jul 2008 14:46:53 EDT

Hi all,

I am new to compiler writing and need some help in implementing some
of the classical algorithms for data flow analysis given in the Dragon
book. I am trying to come up with a method to synthesize pointers in
the C program to VHDL or Verilog so that it can be translated into
hardware circuits. For this I should be able to first identify
pointers in the C program. I read the chapter 10.8 in dragon book
"Dealing with aliases" which vaguely gives a method to determine
pointers in each basic block of the program. It looks to me like it
can be implemented only by multiple parses of the source to achieve
the desired convergence.

I have written a parser to parse the CFG version of the C code dumped
by the gcc option "gcc -fdump-tree-cfg <filename.c>". Its a single
pass parser. I am stuck at this point of how to implement the pointer
identification further. I previously implemented algorithm for finding
the reaching definitions (algorithm 10.2) as a post parse one and it
was a success.

Can someone look into the compiler book and let me know if I can
implement this using a single parse or do I need to change the
implementation method ?.

Thanks a lot!

K7...