Re: LR(k) parser generator for k>1?

"Thomas Chen" <txchen@gmail.com>
Thu, 29 May 2008 18:26:06 -1000

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
LR(k) parser generator for k>1? txchen@gmail.com (Tom) (2008-05-18)
Re: LR(k) parser generator for k>1? haberg_20080406@math.su.se (Hans Aberg) (2008-05-20)
Re: LR(k) parser generator for k>1? joevans@gmail.com (Jason Evans) (2008-05-20)
Re: LR(k) parser generator for k>1? parrt@cs.usfca.edu (parrt) (2008-05-20)
Re: LR(k) parser generator for k>1? cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2008-05-28)
Re: LR(k) parser generator for k>1? txchen@gmail.com (Thomas Chen) (2008-05-29)
Re: LR(k) parser generator for k>1? kamalpr@hp.com (kamal) (2008-06-03)
Re: LR(k) parser generator for k>1? cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2008-06-03)
Re: LR(k) parser generator for k>1? FSet.SLB@gmail.com (Scott Burson) (2008-06-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Thomas Chen" <txchen@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 18:26:06 -1000
Posted-Date: 30 May 2008 17:33:25 EDT

Hi Chris, thanks a lot for your reply!

I agree with your opinion on the segmentation issue of the parser
generators. I have tried some myself and found it hard to start using
all of them in a short time due to different input format.

Right now I'm working on Hyacc and it tries to keep a consistent
interface with Yacc and Bison, so hopefully easier to use. Now indeed
there is the danger of this turned into unattended legacy code, since
even though I'm working hard I'm the only one working on it so far. I
agree with you that the default choice is probably BISON. If they
agree then I'll be very willing to combine this into BISON at a later
time when I'm not so exclusively occupied with my academic effort. It
seems that Yacc++ is a highly respectable commercial parser generator
besides the free version. You also contacted Karsten Nyblad in 2005
for a similar request on basing the LR(k) implementation on Yacc++.
Now Hyacc almost has the framework of incorporating the paths to
LR(k), and BISON is the default choice, so I don't feel the immediate
urge to digress to Yacc++ at this time. I believe you can understand
this. Also at this time LR(k) is more of an experimentation to try, I
know many attempts to LR(k) didn't turn out very well. Given how I
need to concentrate on the target itself instead of getting warmed up
to a new platform, I prefer to keep what I'm doing now rather than
switching to something else.

That said, I'm very interested in this field and also very willing to
exchange ideas with people. I would be most glad to be able to have
more communication with you on various issues and possibilities of
LR(k).

I'll see how lucky I am. Look forward to more communication with you.

Best regards,
Tom