LR(k) parser generator for k>1?

Tom <txchen@gmail.com>
Sun, 18 May 2008 14:27:30 -0700 (PDT)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
LR(k) parser generator for k>1? txchen@gmail.com (Tom) (2008-05-18)
Re: LR(k) parser generator for k>1? haberg_20080406@math.su.se (Hans Aberg) (2008-05-20)
Re: LR(k) parser generator for k>1? joevans@gmail.com (Jason Evans) (2008-05-20)
Re: LR(k) parser generator for k>1? parrt@cs.usfca.edu (parrt) (2008-05-20)
Re: LR(k) parser generator for k>1? cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2008-05-28)
Re: LR(k) parser generator for k>1? txchen@gmail.com (Thomas Chen) (2008-05-29)
Re: LR(k) parser generator for k>1? kamalpr@hp.com (kamal) (2008-06-03)

From: Tom <txchen@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 14:27:30 -0700 (PDT)
Posted-Date: 19 May 2008 21:27:08 EDT

I have searched on Internet and the comp.compilers news group for
LR(k) parser generator implementation where k > 1.

The most important theorectical work since 1980s seem to include those
of M. Ancona (1980s-1990s) and Terence Parr (1993). Many people share
Terence's idea of splitting the atomic k-tuple. The LR(k)
implementation attempts I could find so far include:

- Lark of the Cocktail Toolbox. By Josef Grosch. 1995. His online
comment said It was practical for medium size grammars only for LR(1).
LR(k) was even more expensive.
- LR(1). Gofer. By Bob Buckley. 1995. He said It was a long way from
being production software though.
- Ancona et. al. also claimed to have an implementation, but so
further information is available.
- In 2005 Karsten Nyblad was planning to work on a LR(k) parser
generator. No more information available.
- Yacc++ by Chris F Clark implemented LR(k) but it seemed to have an
infinite loop issue.
- Ralph Boland was working something in this direction.
- MSTA of the COCOM toolset implemented LR(k) in 1998 and claimed to
be efficient.

It seems the only one that claims to be fully functional and efficient
is MSTA. Anyone used it and how was it like?

Would it be meaningful to implement one? I'm very interested to know.

Thanks,
Tom