Re: Code size as a function of source size

Sid Touati <SidTouati@inria.fr>
Tue, 22 Apr 2008 11:24:35 +0200

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Code size as a function of source size jboehm@gmx.net (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen_B=F6hm?=) (2008-03-12)
Re: Code size as a function of source size marcov@stack.nl (Marco van de Voort) (2008-03-14)
Re: Code size as a function of source size barry.j.kelly@gmail.com (Barry Kelly) (2008-03-14)
Re: Code size as a function of source size SidTouati@inria.fr (Sid Touati) (2008-04-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Sid Touati <SidTouati@inria.fr>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 11:24:35 +0200
Posted-Date: 22 Apr 2008 10:24:19 EDT

J|rgen Bvhm a icrit :
> I would like to pose a very simple question, for which nevertheless I
> could not find an answer through google:
>
> Of what general type is the dependence of the size of compiled code
> to the size of the respective source code?

The answer depends on the source language, on the source code, on the
compiler (with its version), the applied code optimisation methods,
and in which order, etc.

It is pretty unlikely that we can write a unique precise function
describing the relationship between source code size and low level
code size that takes into account all the parameters above.

The function you are looking for is not linear at all... unless you use
code translators, not compilers...

Compilers apply may code transformations, while code translators only
generate a valid low level code from a source code: this is the usual
behavior of compilers if you do not turn on any compilation switch.

S.T.