Popularity of compiler tools, was LRgen

anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl)
Sun, 06 Apr 2008 15:25:04 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Seeking recommendations for a Visual Parser to replace Visual Pars mjfs1@cam.ac.uk (Marcel Satchell) (2008-03-28)
Re: LRgen, was Seeking recommendations for a Visual Parser to replace paul@paulbmann.com (Paul B Mann) (2008-03-31)
Popularity of compiler tools, was LRgen anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2008-04-06)
Re: Popularity of compiler tools, was LRgen joevans@gmail.com (Jason Evans) (2008-04-07)
Re: Popularity of compiler tools, was LRgen TegiriNenashi@gmail.com (Tegiri Nenashi) (2008-04-08)
Re: Popularity of compiler tools, was LRgen walter@bytecraft.com (Walter Banks) (2008-04-11)
Re: Popularity of compiler tools, was LRgen DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2008-04-11)
Re: Popularity of compiler tools, was LRgen idbaxter@semdesigns.com (2008-04-11)
Re: Popularity of compiler tools, was LRgen TegiriNenashi@gmail.com (Tegiri Nenashi) (2008-04-11)

From: anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 15:25:04 GMT
Posted-Date: 06 Apr 2008 13:30:31 EDT

"Paul B Mann" <paul@paulbmann.com> writes:
>The current status for LRGen is:
>"Not enough interest. No feedback. No money. Not worth my time".

That seems to be a common problem for compiler tools. I think there
are several reasons for this:

- There are many tools on offer, and not that many compilers being
    developed (compared, to, say the relative numbers for compilers and
    programs that use them).

- As is usually the case in computing, a few tools get most the
    interest/users/feedback/etc. In the compiler front end area these
    are yacc/bison, and maybe JavaCC or ANTLR.

- Finally, many compiler writers seem to dislike tools (or maybe none
    of the tools are good enough or something).

    In particular, while I know of several tools for instruction
    selection using tree parsing, none of them seems to be widely-used;
    many compilers use hand-written instruction selectors, and of those
    where I have heard that they use generated tree-parsing instruction
    selectors, the generator was developed or extended in-house.

    One explanation I have heard is that the compiler writers don't like
    to make themselves dependent on a tool that may go away. OTOH, gcc
    reverted from using bison-generated parsers to hand-written ones (at
    least for C++ and C), and I very much doubt that the future of bison
    was the reason for that.

Maybe some other posters can provide additional insights into the use
or non-use of compiler tools and the reasons for this.

>If anyone has generated more interest in their product by making it
>open source, let me know.

OpenOffice (nee StarOffice) and Mozilla/Firefox are two products that
come to mind. However, they also did a lot of development in addition
to unchaining their software.

If a tool is free software, that would at least be a partial answer to
the fears of the tool going away: if the author or developing company
drops it, the compiler writer can take over maintenance (possibly with
other users), so one would not be worse off than when maintaining an
in-house tool (apart from the transition cost).

>Also let me know how to get money for
>working on open source code.

Work for Red Hat, SuSe/Novell, MySQL AB etc. They probably won't pay
you for working on a product that is uninteresting to their paying
customers, though.

- anton
--
M. Anton Ertl