Re: Which part of optimization is most important in a compiler?

joggingsong@gmail.com
Wed, 2 Apr 2008 06:15:13 -0700 (PDT)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Which part of optimization is most important in a compiler? joggingsong@gmail.com (2008-03-23)
Re: Which part of optimization is most important in a compiler? torbenm@app-2.diku.dk (2008-03-25)
Re: Which part of optimization is most important in a compiler? bmoses-nospam@mail.dpdx.net (Brooks Moses) (2008-03-25)
Re: Which part of optimization is most important in a compiler? kevin.phillips83@yahoo.com (kphillips) (2008-03-27)
Re: Which part of optimization is most important in a compiler? pertti.kellomaki@tut.fi (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Pertti_Kellom=E4ki?=) (2008-03-28)
Re: Which part of optimization is most important in a compiler? n.pipenbrinck@cubic.org (Nils) (2008-03-30)
Re: Which part of optimization is most important in a compiler? joggingsong@gmail.com (2008-04-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: joggingsong@gmail.com
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 06:15:13 -0700 (PDT)
Posted-Date: 02 Apr 2008 10:25:27 EDT

> > I haven't taken the compiler course at college. Because my job is
> > to optimize code on DSP, I hope to understand compiler deep and begin
> > to read a compiler textbook. There are a lot of materials in a book,
> > but the overview of advanced compiling is not given in the book. ...

I have written many assembly codes for DSPs. Most time I try to use
SIMD instructions. Instruction scheduling is used to hide latency of
multi-cycle instructions, but almost every instruction is single cycle
instruction. Now only computation-intensive routines need to be
rewritten in assembly codes. So in my opinion, trying to use SIMD and
special instructions, which is hard to express in c language, is the
right way to improve performance.

Register allocation tries to reduce spill code, but in most curreent
DSPs stack is in cache or L1 SRAM, of which access latency is 1 cycle.

Best Regards
Jogging