Re: Which part of optimization is most important in a compiler?

kphillips <kevin.phillips83@yahoo.com>
Thu, 27 Mar 2008 03:18:51 -0700 (PDT)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Which part of optimization is most important in a compiler? joggingsong@gmail.com (2008-03-23)
Re: Which part of optimization is most important in a compiler? torbenm@app-2.diku.dk (2008-03-25)
Re: Which part of optimization is most important in a compiler? bmoses-nospam@mail.dpdx.net (Brooks Moses) (2008-03-25)
Re: Which part of optimization is most important in a compiler? kevin.phillips83@yahoo.com (kphillips) (2008-03-27)
Re: Which part of optimization is most important in a compiler? pertti.kellomaki@tut.fi (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Pertti_Kellom=E4ki?=) (2008-03-28)
Re: Which part of optimization is most important in a compiler? n.pipenbrinck@cubic.org (Nils) (2008-03-30)
Re: Which part of optimization is most important in a compiler? joggingsong@gmail.com (2008-04-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: kphillips <kevin.phillips83@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 03:18:51 -0700 (PDT)
Posted-Date: 27 Mar 2008 23:59:12 EDT

>Scheduling is even more important if you
> need to explicitly group instructions that start at the same time, as
> some DSPs (and Intel's Itanium) do.

>Please find following book is useful:
>"Advanced Compiler Design and Implementation" by
>Steven S.Muchnick, Pub: Morgan Kaufmann

I've done a quick search for instruction scheduling especially for
Itanium / instruction-level parallelism. Are there some main texts
(academic papers, etc.) of main techniques on this topic? I'm
interested in implementing scheduling for my toy-compiler, to try on
Itanium. It doesn't have to be the best technique around, in fact, the
simpler the better (more advanced will be attempted later!).

The book "Engineering a Compiler" by Cooper and Torczon (Morgan
Kaufmann) has an introductory chapter which reviews instruction
scheduling but I'm not sure whether it outlines a specific algorithm
for it.

K. Phillips