Re: Code size as a function of source size

Barry Kelly <barry.j.kelly@gmail.com>
Fri, 14 Mar 2008 14:55:39 +0000

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Code size as a function of source size jboehm@gmx.net (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen_B=F6hm?=) (2008-03-12)
Re: Code size as a function of source size marcov@stack.nl (Marco van de Voort) (2008-03-14)
Re: Code size as a function of source size barry.j.kelly@gmail.com (Barry Kelly) (2008-03-14)
Re: Code size as a function of source size SidTouati@inria.fr (Sid Touati) (2008-04-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Barry Kelly <barry.j.kelly@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 14:55:39 +0000
Posted-Date: 14 Mar 2008 12:08:21 EDT

J|rgen Bvhm wrote:

> Of what general type is the dependence of the size of compiled code
> to the size of the respective source code?

Depending on the features of the language (e.g. macros (esp. recursive
macros), templates, generics) the function may be superlinear, depending
on the program content. Obviously, some other features have higher
constant factors than others. As a result, I think that any function you
derive will probably be quite sensitive to the particular feature mix
that is characteristic of the developers of the source you measure.

-- Barry

--
http://barrkel.blogspot.com/