Convert pseudo register-based assembly to stack-based assembly

julien.hamaide@gmail.com
Wed, 12 Dec 2007 15:24:05 -0800 (PST)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Convert pseudo register-based assembly to stack-based assembly julien.hamaide@gmail.com (2007-12-12)
Re: Convert pseudo register-based assembly to stack-based assembly mm.beck@gmx.net (Michael Beck) (2008-01-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: julien.hamaide@gmail.com
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 15:24:05 -0800 (PST)
Posted-Date: 12 Dec 2007 23:18:32 EST

Hi all,

I'm currently working on a compiler. I use graph coloring to allocate
registers. The compiler targets different platforms, one of them being
the x86. I currently generate code to bypass the fpu stack problem,
every operation being prefixed by a load and postfixed by a store.
The generated code is currently working.

Now I want to optimize that code by using the fpu stack. I've thought
of using the register allocation with pseudo fpu instructions and
pseudo fpu registers. After the register allocation, I would convert
pseudo-instruction into real fpu stack, allocating stack slot to
register. LLVM is using such a technique to allocate stack slot. But I
can't find any information on this process. Does anybody have
experience on this or have information about it?

Thanks

Julien Hamaide