Re: Seeking recommendations for a Visual Parser to replace Visual Parse++

Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1@aol.com>
Wed, 12 Dec 2007 00:10:22 +0100

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Seeking recommendations for a Visual Parser to replace Visual Parse++ d.parser@yahoo.com (2007-12-10)
Re: Seeking recommendations for a Visual Parser to replace Visual Pars cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2007-12-11)
Re: Seeking recommendations for a Visual Parser to replace Visual Pars DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2007-12-12)
Re: Seeking recommendations for a Visual Parser to replace Visual Pars tom@infoether.com (Tom Copeland) (2007-12-12)
Re: Seeking recommendations for a Visual Parser to replace Visual Pars gneuner2/@/comcast.net (George Neuner) (2007-12-13)
Re: Seeking recommendations for a Visual Parser to replace Visual Pars cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2007-12-15)
Re: Seeking recommendations for a Visual Parser to replace Visual Pars paul@paulbmann.com (Paul B Mann) (2008-02-14)
Re: Seeking recommendations for a Visual Parser to replace Visual Pars mjfs1@cam.ac.uk (Marcel Satchell) (2008-03-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1@aol.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 00:10:22 +0100
Posted-Date: 12 Dec 2007 13:03:44 EST

Chris F Clark wrote:

> 1) If you specifically liked the IDE, your best choice is probably
> grammarforge (aka meta-S) by Quinn Tyler Jackson. I believe Quinn
> worked with Will Donahue for a while and integrated the VP++ IDE
> into grammarforge. Grammarforge also has integrated regular
> expression support within the grammars, although for my taste the
> regular expression notation isn't as well integrated as some of the
> other tools. Two caveats. First, the tool is LL rather than LR
> based, so if you use precedence and associativity declarations, you
> will have to rework those. Second, Quinn may no longer be
> associated with the product (and it may not even be available).

The same for TextTransformer, which is fully supported and continuously
extended. Actually TeTra emulates or produces kind of PEG parsers, while
the grammar syntax is different from PEG (with added features).

Semantical actions have a C++ interface, and a subset of C++ is already
built into the emulator. Together with the AST generation and
transformation features, and the built-in file manager, many tasks can
be performed without even leaving the TeTra IDE. For production runs,
outside the IDE, the TeTra engine can be invoked from the command line,
or can be embedded into applications. All that in addition to the
generation of C++ source files of recursive-descent parsers :-)

DoDi