Re: Implementing Thompson's construction

"mailings@jmksf.com" <mailings@jmksf.com>
Mon, 10 Dec 2007 19:18:33 +0100

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Implementing Thompson's construction mwarehime@comcast.net (Mike Warehime) (2007-12-09)
Re: Implementing Thompson's construction eliben@gmail.com (eliben) (2007-12-09)
Re: Implementing Thompson's construction mailings@jmksf.com (mailings@jmksf.com) (2007-12-10)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "mailings@jmksf.com" <mailings@jmksf.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 19:18:33 +0100
Posted-Date: 10 Dec 2007 20:33:42 EST

Mike Warehime wrote:
> I have read the red dragon book and I understand the algorithms and
> how they work. But I am not real good at turning Thompson's
> construction into C or C++ code. I think my mental block is happening
> when I try to think about how to incorporate transition and epsilon
> transitions into data structures.

Hello Mike,

I would advise you the book "Compiler Construction in C" by Allen I.
Holub [Prentice-Hall Software Series], ISBN 978-0131550452. It comes
with complete source code and explains them for Lex- and Yacc-like
tools. Also my own project JS/CC [http://jscc.jmksf.com] implements
Thompson's Algorithm using the way Holub implements it.

You can even download the sources of the book at
http://www.holub.com/software/compiler.design.in.c.html .

Best regards
Jan Max
[If you do get a copy of the book, be sure also to get a copy of the
errata. The early printings had a stupendous number of errors, many
quite serious. -John]