Re: An unknown language with a known implementation ?

Tommy Thorn <tommy.thorn@gmail.com>
Fri, 19 Oct 2007 02:36:18 -0000

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
An unknown language with a known implementation ? marten.cassel@gmail.com (2007-10-13)
Re: An unknown language with a known implementation ? mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de (Dmitry A. Kazakov) (2007-10-14)
Re: An unknown language with a known implementation ? DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2007-10-14)
Re: An unknown language with a known implementation ? tommy.thorn@gmail.com (Tommy Thorn) (2007-10-19)
Re: An unknown language with a known implementation ? jo@durchholz.org (Joachim Durchholz) (2007-10-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Tommy Thorn <tommy.thorn@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 02:36:18 -0000
Posted-Date: 21 Oct 2007 16:02:58 EDT

On Oct 13, 5:33 am, marten.cas...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi
>
> Given the specification and source code of a programming language
> implementation that is, interpreter (for a virtual machine), runtime
> libraries and extensions, plus compiled programs. I'd like to learn
> about the language that this implementation was made for.
>
> Is this possible? Mayby someone could clarify or express the problem
> for me more clearly.. and possible solutions.

I think the question is impossibly vague. Find out though manual
inspection? Well, surely it depends on the level of detail of the
"specification" and the interpreter. Let me give you an example that
should make this crystal clear:

x86 is a virtual machine (sure why not?). You can write an interpreter
for that (hard but it's possible). All interesting programming
languages have an x86 implementation, but an x86 interpreter will tell
you nothing about the languages that were compiled to it.

Tommy