Re: Divide by zero detection

Alex Colvin <>
Fri, 21 Sep 2007 02:02:31 +0000 (UTC)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Divide by zero detection ( (2007-09-18)
Re: Divide by zero detection (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2007-09-20)
Re: Divide by zero detection (Alex Colvin) (2007-09-21)
Re: Divide by zero detection (George Neuner) (2007-09-22)
Re: Divide by zero detection (Gene) (2007-09-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Alex Colvin <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 02:02:31 +0000 (UTC)
Posted-Date: 21 Sep 2007 02:21:07 EDT

>> I am looking for tools able to detect inside the source code,
>> potential divide by zero errors. Does it exist. For what languages,
>> what platform ? Thanks for your help

I think you're unlikely to find this in software, as it's one of the
errors that is reliably and efficiently detected in hardware.

>No zero divide there, either. Doing the analysis properly is doubtless
>undecidable, but with aggressive dataflow analysis you should be able to
>rule out a lot of known non-zero divisors. -John]

Can you asseme 0s must come from constant 0, addition, subtraction or
bitwise operation, or division. Multiplication only propagates existing
zeros. See if any of these can reach your divisor.
mac the naof