New GCC ICI (with plug-ins for dynamic pass reordering)

Grigori Fursin <gfursin@gmail.com>
Sat, 15 Sep 2007 18:42:21 -0000

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
New GCC ICI (with plug-ins for dynamic pass reordering) gfursin@gmail.com (Grigori Fursin) (2007-09-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Grigori Fursin <gfursin@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 18:42:21 -0000
Posted-Date: 15 Sep 2007 15:15:04 EDT

Hello all,

In case some of you are interested, we produced a new version of the
Interactive Compilation Interface (ICI) for GCC (the tarball for this
release can be downloaded here:
https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=180190&package_id=245842&release_id=539711)

To remind, the main aim of the Interactive Compilation Interface (ICI)
is to transform GCC (production quality non-research compiler that
supports many languages and architectures) into research compiler with
minimal changes. It can be used to enable research on iterative
fine-grain program optimizations for different constraints
(performance, code size, power consumption, DSE, different ISAs, etc),
to unify optimization knowledge reuse among different programs and
architectures using statistical and machine learning techniques, and
to improve default compiler optimization heuristic.

In a new version we re-designed the ICI completely based on the
valuable feedback from the users after the SMART'07 workshop and GCC
HiPEAC'07 tutorial (many thanks to Cupertino Miranda who implemented
most of it). The communication with the new ICI is now performed
through a dynamically linked GCC plug-in written in C (however any
high-level or scripting language can be used with a wrapper).

Current implementation includes the ability to reorder or turn
specific GCC passes on and off on a function level. We currently work
to implement all remaining functions of the specified interface, add
passes to extract program features and split analysis and optimization
code to enable access to compiler transformations at a fine-grain
level.

More info is available at the GCC-ICI project website:
http://gcc-ici.sourceforge.net

Yours,
Grigori Fursin

Grigori Fursin, PhD
Research Scientist, INRIA Futurs, France
http://fursin.net/research