Re: cycle free grammar ?

Max Hailperin <>
08 Aug 2007 11:41:00 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
cycle free grammar ? (2007-08-04)
Re: cycle free grammar ? (SM Ryan) (2007-08-07)
Re: cycle free grammar ? (Max Hailperin) (2007-08-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Max Hailperin <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 08 Aug 2007 11:41:00 -0500
Posted-Date: 08 Aug 2007 23:21:27 EDT writes:
> I am currently learning how to write a compiler , i am using a book
> called Compilers Principles , techniques, and tools.
> in this book , there is an exercise asking write a algorithm to
> convert a grammar into a equivalent cycle - free grammar.
> for example:
> convert grammar s->ss|(s)|e to a cycle free grammar.
> any one know how to do that?

If you first make the grammar epsilon-free (which is the prior
exercise, if memory serves me), then the only kinds of cycles that can
remain are those based on productions of the form A -> B. That may be
enough of a hint to let you figure out the algorithm on your own. If
not, a second hint would be to look at algorithms for finding the
strongly connected components of directed graphs. -max