Re: A JavaCC book

Eric <englere_geo@yahoo.com>
Mon, 23 Jul 2007 15:12:10 -0700

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
A JavaCC book tom@infoether.com (Tom Copeland) (2007-07-19)
Re: A JavaCC book englere_geo@yahoo.com (Eric) (2007-07-23)
Re: A JavaCC book tom@infoether.com (Tom Copeland) (2007-07-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Eric <englere_geo@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 15:12:10 -0700
Posted-Date: 26 Jul 2007 00:56:50 EDT

On Jul 19, 9:34 am, Tom Copeland <t...@infoether.com> wrote:

> Folks working with Java may be familiar with the LL(k) parser
> generator JavaCC. This fine utility has been around almost as long as
> Java has, but the documentation has always been slightly lacking.
> Thus my new book: "Generating Parsers With JavaCC".
> http://generatingparserswithjavacc.com/

Looks great! The source code examples haven't been posted yet but the
TOC looks good. I noted the cool chapter on testing the various parts
of a compiler with Junit. Automated testing is more than a current
fad, especially in the compiler business! Many hours can be saved this
way and the savings are almost guranteed to dwarf the extra time
needed to set it up.

Unlike many compiler books you seemingly didn't make a "toy language"
compiler that progresses with each chapter. We've come to expect that,
but it has a down-side of alienating people who aren't happy with the
toy language, and it also uses a lot of pages that might be better
used to introduce more topics. Your website has some toy language
stuff (Jave to Python, and the HTMLizer), so that probably meets the
toy language requirement.

I will look into this book further!

Considering your Ruby credentials, would I be far off track to guess
there may be a Ruby example forthcoming?

Eric