A Grammar Writing Question

"Lowell Thomas" <lowell@coasttocoastresearch.com>
Mon, 23 Jul 2007 10:18:50 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Grammar for optional elements cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2007-06-21)
A Grammar Writing Question lowell@coasttocoastresearch.com (Lowell Thomas) (2007-07-23)
Re: A Grammar Writing Question cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2007-07-26)
Re: A Grammar Writing Question gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2007-07-26)
Re: A Grammar Writing Question stephenhorne100@aol.com (Steve Horne) (2007-07-27)
Re: A Grammar Writing Question DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2007-07-27)
Re: A Grammar Writing Question cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2007-07-28)
Re: A Grammar Writing Question schmitz@i3s.unice.fr (Sylvain Schmitz) (2007-07-29)

From: "Lowell Thomas" <lowell@coasttocoastresearch.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 10:18:50 -0400
Posted-Date: 26 Jul 2007 00:55:56 EDT

Chris F Clark <cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com> wrote: (07-06-053)

Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at> wrote: (07-06-054)

Chris F Clark <cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com> wrote: (07-07-009)
>I've been trying to track down where I read about ordered choice using
>google and haven't had any luck yet ... perhaps the author
>of the paper/web page I was reading will happen to read this,
>recognize that I am refering to them, and chime in.

I'm also interested in this question. It may be a bit off topic for the
original thread these quotes are from, so I wanted to rephrase the question.
In my limited experience with grammar (re-)writing I have never come across
a language situation that I couldn't resolve with an ordered-choice parser
(OCP, one that tries alternates from an ordered list and accepts the first
match, ignoring any other possible matches in the list.) I've often
suspected that the reason Ford couldn't prove that there are context-free
languages that cannot be described with a PEG is that none exist. I've often
seen criticisms of OCP (but don't have any references handy) on the grounds
that they miss some of the valid language strings that the grammar allows.
This is, of course, true if your objective is to start with a grammar and
then ask for the complete language that it describes. But it seems to me
that most practical situations have it the other way around. Given a
specific problem, you first conceptualize the kinds of strings the language
must contain and then try to write a grammar that generates them. Grammar
writing is, so it seems to me, where the rubber meets the road between human
creativity and automata.

So the question is, can anyone point out a practical situation where the
language truly requires an exhaustive parser (one that pursues all possible
ambiguities)? Also, can anyone provide a practical example of an exponential
grammar (O(n**x), n = string length, x>1)?

Thanks,
Lowell Thomas
www.coasttocoastresearch.com

P.S. My limited experience suggests another possible benefit to OCP grammar
writing. The ambiguities that cause trouble for an OCP usually look to me
like they would create a lot thrashing, dead ends and backtracking for an
exhaustive parser. Working out those kinks in the grammar not only makes it
work with an OCP, but might also greatly improve it for use by any other
parser as well. Any comments on this?