Re: bison and/or antlr ?

Chris F Clark <cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com>
Mon, 02 Jul 2007 13:45:02 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
bison and/or antlr ? somedeveloper@gmail.com (SomeDeveloper) (2007-06-30)
Re: bison and/or antlr ? gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2007-06-30)
Re: bison and/or antlr ? ron@news1.news.xs4all.nl (Ron AF Greve) (2007-07-01)
Re: bison and/or antlr ? cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2007-07-02)
Re: bison and/or antlr ? tom@infoether.com (Tom Copeland) (2007-07-03)
Re: bison and/or antlr ? gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2007-07-04)
Re: bison and/or antlr ? cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2007-07-07)
Re: bison and/or antlr ? gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2007-07-09)
Re: bison and/or antlr ? cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2007-07-13)
Re: bison and/or antlr ? gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2007-07-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Chris F Clark <cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 13:45:02 -0400
Posted-Date: 03 Jul 2007 22:10:01 EDT

SomeDeveloper <somedeveloper@gmail.com> writes:

> 1. If I could learn / master ONLY ONE of these two tools, which one
> should I?

If you want to just learn a tool (especially just at the pragmatic
level), learn ANTLR first. If you then want to master a tool and you
have serious parsing ambitions (i.e. you want to understand the
theory), you want to master LR parsing ala yacc/bison. If your issues
are totally pragmatic, mastering antlr is sufficient.

> 2. If I could learn / master BOTH, which one should I pick first?

Learing antlr (recursive descent parsing) is considerably easier.
Learn it first.

> For theory / concepts... I'm intending to refer to the 1st edition of
> the Dragon Book, even though the 2nd, completely rewritten edition is
> now available. This is because I don't have a need to write a very
> sophisticated compiler, rather only a simple/crude one for our in-
> house development needs. I will be more than happy as long as I can
> transform language A to language B. Thus...
>
> 3. ...for my simple compiler writing needs, can I confidently rely on
> just one book: the Dragon Book 1st edition?

As much as any book can cover transforming grammars from LL to LR (and
that isn't really a covered topic in any textbook I've seen, mostly
because most LL grammars are already LR), the original "green dragon"
book is still just fine.

Just some opinions,
-Chris

23 Bailey Rd voice : (508) 435-5016
Berlin, MA 01503 USA fax : (978) 838-0263 (24 hours)