Re: bison and/or antlr and/or TXL?

SomeDeveloper <>
Sun, 01 Jul 2007 10:09:43 -0000

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
bison and/or antlr ? (SomeDeveloper) (2007-06-30)
Re: bison and/or antlr and/or TXL? (SomeDeveloper) (2007-07-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: SomeDeveloper <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 10:09:43 -0000
Posted-Date: 01 Jul 2007 21:52:54 EDT

On Jun 30, 4:24 pm, SomeDeveloper <> wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm new to the (wonderful) world of compilers.
> 1. If I could learn / master ONLY ONE of these two tools, which one
> should I?
> 2. If I could learn / master BOTH, which one should I pick first?
> For theory / concepts... I'm intending to refer to the 1st edition of
> the Dragon Book, even though the 2nd, completely rewritten edition is
> now available. This is because I don't have a need to write a very
> sophisticated compiler, rather only a simple/crude one for our in-
> house development needs. I will be more than happy as long as I can
> transform language A to language B. Thus...
> 3. ...for my simple compiler writing needs, can I confidently rely on
> just one book: the Dragon Book 1st edition?

And, how about TXL? Seeing the list of academic and industrial users
at, it seems TXL is also a candidate
for consideration.

Note: I'm very well aware that, in general, comparing programming
languages, platforms, etc can be a tricky thing and can sometimes
create personal/religious e-wars over the Net. But I still need your
kind, helpful advice... as it could be many months or even years
before I gain enough competency to decide these matters for myself.

Many thanks in advance,
Some (compilers-newbie) Developer
[TXL is very cool, but it's not really a parser generator; it's a
transformation generator. -John]