Re: parser table implementation and compression

Gene <gene.ressler@gmail.com>
Fri, 22 Jun 2007 21:10:13 -0700

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
parser table implementation and compression mips@cyberspace.org (Damien Couderc) (2007-06-16)
Re: parser table implementation and compression gene.ressler@gmail.com (Gene) (2007-06-16)
Re: parser table implementation and compression lsonderling@earthlink.net (Larry Sonderling) (2007-06-22)
Re: parser table implementation and compression gene.ressler@gmail.com (Gene) (2007-06-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Gene <gene.ressler@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 21:10:13 -0700
Posted-Date: 25 Jun 2007 03:14:56 EDT

> > The old book by Gene Holub _Compiler Design in C_
>
> I think it should be _Allen_ Holub.
>
> He also has a websitewww.holub.com
>
> --Larry
> [Oops, right. If you do get a copy of the book, be sure to get the
> errata sheethttp://www.holub.com/software/compiler.design.in.c.html
> (click the documentation link). It's not a bad book, but it had
> incredible editing problems, and there are 42 pages of errata, some
> quite major. -John]

Thanks very much for keeping me straight. Apologies to Allen Holub.
Despite the editorial problems of the book, I've learned much by
reviewing the code therein. Once you've understood it, you can tackle
e.g. bison and flex without much trouble, then similar tools including
emacs and gcc. I recommend this chain for learning. It's something
like the coders' equivalent of an artist studying the old masters.