Re: Flex / Bison Multiple parser question

Thomas Dickey <dickey@saltmine.radix.net>
Wed, 20 Jun 2007 12:12:20 -0000

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Flex / Bison Multiple parser question amc4@doc.ic.ac.uk (Andrew Cheadle) (2007-06-15)
Re: Flex / Bison Multiple parser question dickey@saltmine.radix.net (Thomas Dickey) (2007-06-18)
Re: Flex / Bison Multiple parser question dickey@saltmine.radix.net (Thomas Dickey) (2007-06-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Thomas Dickey <dickey@saltmine.radix.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 12:12:20 -0000
Posted-Date: 20 Jun 2007 20:38:04 EDT

> [That was certainly an issue 20 years ago. But today? -John]

not to the same extent. However, for the same reasons then - one might have
a language which doesn't have the same syntax, e.g., it requires some sort
of mode-switch. Rather than have very-large tables that can handle all
combinations (and mostly unused), you could switch lexers/parsers.

Now that I'm thinking of it, I have an application with more than 50
lexers - the syntax highlighting in vile:

http://invisible-island.net/vile/

But since lexers are adequate for that, they don't need/use yacc.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net