Re: Compilers in ML or Caml (Torben =?iso-8859-1?Q?=C6gidius?= Mogensen)
Wed, 20 Jun 2007 09:36:33 +0200

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compilers in ML or Caml (bison) (2007-06-19)
Re: Compilers in ML or Caml blume@hanabi.local (Matthias Blume) (2007-06-19)
Re: Compilers in ML or Caml (Aaron Gray) (2007-06-19)
Re: Compilers in ML or Caml (2007-06-20)
Re: Compilers in ML or Caml (Colin Paul Gloster) (2007-06-21)
Re: Compilers in ML or Caml (Jon Harrop) (2007-06-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (Torben =?iso-8859-1?Q?=C6gidius?= Mogensen)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 09:36:33 +0200
Posted-Date: 20 Jun 2007 20:37:34 EDT

bison <> writes:

> I'm sure there are plenty of compilers written in ML, but I'd like to
> find some smaller (ish) compilers written in ML for a good examples in
> compiler writing in ML.

I have been teaching compilers using SML for several years, and I
provide a small compiler for the students to extend.

The compiler compiles from a small language into a small subset of a
MIPS-like assembly language, which we run on a simulator.

You can find last years assignment, including in

A solution to the assignment (and an assignment for extra extensions)
can be found in

I'm afraid the documentation is in Danish, but the code uses names in

You can download the MIPS-like simulator from
(the Mips-extensions files).

The compilers course use my own book, which you can download from

Note that while the book describes using an intermediate language, the
exercise compiler compiles directly to MIPS-like assembly language (to
keep the project small).