Re: C++ compiler that uses CFront

James Kanze <james.kanze@gmail.com>
Fri, 01 Jun 2007 13:38:59 -0000

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
C++ compiler that uses CFront napi@axiomsol.com (napi) (2007-05-31)
Re: C++ compiler that uses CFront james.kanze@gmail.com (James Kanze) (2007-06-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: James Kanze <james.kanze@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++,comp.compilers
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 13:38:59 -0000
Posted-Date: 01 Jun 2007 10:39:21 EDT

On Jun 1, 4:15 am, napi <n...@axiomsol.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know of any public domain C++ compiler that uses CFront as
> its front end?

Since CFront was never public domain, I don't think a public domain
compiler could have used it.

> If you do would appreciate the links or other related info.

> p.s. Info on any commercial C++ compiler that uses CFront is fine too.

None today, I'm pretty sure, since CFront itself hasn't been
maintained for years.

> Napi
> [You can find the 1994 version of cfront 3.0 at
> http://www.softwarepreservation.org/projects/c_plus_plus/index.html
> I would be rather surprised if anyone were still using it, since
> cfront was a pretty lousy compiler.

To be honest, it was a good deal better than its competitors
(Zortech, g++) back then.

> These days everyone uses the EDG front end. -John]

Except those who don't: g++, Microsoft, Sun...:-). I'd be
pleased as punch if the "mainstream" compiler on any of my
platforms had an EDG front end, but none do. (Because we have
to link with third party libraries which are only provided for
the mainstream compiler, we're pretty much locked in.)

Conseils en informatique orientie objet/
9 place Simard, 78210 St.-Cyr-l'Icole, France, +33 (0)1 30 23 00 34