Re: Strong Types ?

IndianTechie <kamalpr@gmail.com>
21 May 2007 00:25:44 -0700

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Strong Types ? hossein.rohani@gmail.com (gygulance) (2007-04-26)
Re: Strong Types ? torbenm@app-6.diku.dk (2007-04-27)
Re: Strong Types ? scgupta@yahoo.com (Satish Chandra Gupta) (2007-04-27)
Re: Strong Types ? oliverhunt@gmail.com (oliverhunt@gmail.com) (2007-04-28)
Re: Strong Types ? kamalpr@gmail.com (IndianTechie) (2007-05-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: IndianTechie <kamalpr@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 21 May 2007 00:25:44 -0700
Posted-Date: 21 May 2007 13:34:15 EDT

On Apr 26, 6:45 pm, gygulance <hossein.roh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I faced a question during my research on desing and implementation of
> programming language. The question arises from area of type binding
> and checking in design of programming languages. question :
> Can we call a programming language which has both static type
> checking and static type binding a strongly type programming
> language; if so why and is there any programming language with these
> characteristics.

I believe strongly typed refers not to static type checking & binding
- but to the fact that one cannot morph instances of one type to
another. C allows one to typecast pointers of one type to another -or
for that matter as stated in this thread, typecast a float to a
pointer. So, it is not strongly typed. The C99 standard has some
improvements in that one cannot morph pointers to objects of one type
to pointers to objects of another type. This feature was introduced
with optimization (pointer aliasing) and not type checking/consistency
though.

regards
-kamal