Re: Optimizer books and online material?

IndianTechie <kamalpr@gmail.com>
21 May 2007 00:14:21 -0700

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Optimizer books and online material? reasamp@gmail.com (Reasamp) (2007-05-08)
Re: Optimizer books and online material? eliotm@pacbell.net (Eliot Miranda) (2007-05-08)
Re: Optimizer books and online material? kamalpr@gmail.com (IndianTechie) (2007-05-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: IndianTechie <kamalpr@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 21 May 2007 00:14:21 -0700
Posted-Date: 21 May 2007 13:33:56 EDT

On May 8, 11:55 pm, Eliot Miranda <eli...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> Reasamp wrote:
> > I see lots of info/books online about parsing techniques and compiler/
> > construction. But can anyone point me to a good reading material if I
> > want to learn about optimization techniques? Most compiler

If you mean optimizations at the IR level and at the back-end level
for general purpose SMP hardware -yes, that's covered in many
textbooks. For the rest, you do need to read papers.

> > construction books i've read does not deal well with this ... I prefer
> > online materials over hardcopy books ... unusual it may seem.

You can read the book mentioned below online too, but need to pay for
it at the publisher's webside (Addison Wesley):-

http://www.awl.com/

> The most thorough treatment I've found is (the book)
> Advanced Compiler Design and Implementation
> Steven Muchnick
>
> http://net.gurus.com/bk/a/1558603204(Amazon)
> http://net.gurus.com/bk/bn/1558603204(Barnes & Noble))

  The 2nd edition of the dragon book is out, and it contains some info
on newer optimization techniques esp at the instruction level.

regards
-kamal