Re: any experience with PLY?

Jason <>
14 May 2007 12:36:50 -0700

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
any experience with PLY? (Mark T) (2007-05-13)
Re: any experience with PLY? (Nicola Musatti) (2007-05-14)
Re: any experience with PLY? (Jason) (2007-05-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Jason <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 14 May 2007 12:36:50 -0700
Posted-Date: 16 May 2007 03:01:34 EDT

On May 13, 12:08 pm, Mark T <> wrote:
> I'm contemplating using PLY to create a source to source translator -
> one assembler language (custom CPU) to another assembler language
> (standard CPU). I have some limited lex/yacc experience.
> Are there any other parser-generator tools I should consider? or
> should I just hand code everything?

I am certainly biased, but I think that Parsing is the greatest thing
since sliced bread, at least as far as Python-based parser generators
go. Parsing is an LR(1) parser generator, and it includes both CFSM
("LR") and GLR parser drivers.

Don't let the simplicity of the example fool you into thinking that
Parsing is a toy -- I have used it for some very large grammars, with
great success.