Re: any experience with PLY?

Nicola Musatti <>
14 May 2007 01:28:49 -0700

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
any experience with PLY? (Mark T) (2007-05-13)
Re: any experience with PLY? (Nicola Musatti) (2007-05-14)
Re: any experience with PLY? (Jason) (2007-05-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Nicola Musatti <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 14 May 2007 01:28:49 -0700
Posted-Date: 16 May 2007 03:00:47 EDT

On May 13, 9:08 pm, Mark T <> wrote:
> I'm contemplating using PLY to create a source to source translator -
> one assembler language (custom CPU) to another assembler language
> (standard CPU). I have some limited lex/yacc experience.

PLY was actually my first experience with a lex/yacc style generator
and I found it extremely convenient. Some theoretical background helps
in avoiding mistakes and diagnosing bugs, but one can always resort to
good ol' trial & error ;-)

I used PLY to parse a subset of SQL DDL. I already had a hand coded C+
+ parser for an even smaller subset, but I'm convinced that it took me
less to rewrite it in Python with PLY than it would have taken to
modify my C++ one.

Another advantage that should not be overlooked is the number of
libraries that are available to Python programmers, which may come
handy for other parts of one's application.

> Are there any other parser-generator tools I should consider? or
> should I just hand code everything?

Just about everybody around here is in a better position to answer
this question than I am.

Nicola Musatti