Re: SSA without phi

Tommy Thorn <>
8 May 2007 17:45:15 -0700

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
[4 earlier articles]
Re: SSA without phi (Chris F Clark) (2007-04-23)
Re: SSA without phi find@my.address.elsewhere (Matthias Blume) (2007-04-26)
Re: SSA without phi (2007-04-29)
Re: SSA without phi (Tommy Thorn) (2007-05-04)
Re: SSA without phi (2007-05-04)
Re: SSA without phi (Inderaj Bains) (2007-05-07)
Re: SSA without phi (Tommy Thorn) (2007-05-08)
Re: SSA without phi (2007-05-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Tommy Thorn <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 8 May 2007 17:45:15 -0700
Posted-Date: 09 May 2007 13:39:36 EDT

On May 7, 1:44 pm, "Inderaj Bains" <> wrote:
> That is incorrect. Leaving SSA does not require register allocation,
> renaming plus color-out can guarantee dropping remaining names is
> correct.

That is the same as register allocation for an unbounded set of
registers. I'm not sure why you mean by "color-out", but you'd have to
track liveness and conflicts to accomplish the renaming at which point
you're very close to a full allocator.

My main point was that just dropping the subscripts doesn't work.