Compiler testing bibliography & article

Flash Sheridan <>
28 Apr 2007 23:27:56 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler testing bibliography & article (Flash Sheridan) (2007-04-28)
Bibliography for automatic test data generation for compilers (1993-12-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Flash Sheridan <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,
Date: 28 Apr 2007 23:27:56 -0400
Posted-Date: 28 Apr 2007 23:27:56 EDT

With the gracious permission of the editors of Software: Practice and
Experience, I've posted a bibliography of compiler testing, with an
emphasis on practical testing of C and C++, at

This was originally written for an article in the journal, "Practical
Testing of a C99 Compiler Using Output Comparison," covering my
experience testing the PalmSource (now Access) ARM compiler for Palm
OS Cobalt. The article is available for a fee at

with a preprint at

A list of bugs discovered using the techniques in the article is at

I'll update the bibliography as I become aware of new articles on
compiler testing; please let me know of anything important I've
missed. (Obviously there will be some judgement involved in what to
include; I'm aiming more at being useful than at being comprehensive.)

Static analyzer
Palm, Inc./Manpower