Re: Strong Types ?

Satish Chandra Gupta <scgupta@yahoo.com>
27 Apr 2007 11:31:00 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Strong Types ? hossein.rohani@gmail.com (gygulance) (2007-04-26)
Re: Strong Types ? torbenm@app-6.diku.dk (2007-04-27)
Re: Strong Types ? scgupta@yahoo.com (Satish Chandra Gupta) (2007-04-27)
Re: Strong Types ? oliverhunt@gmail.com (oliverhunt@gmail.com) (2007-04-28)
Re: Strong Types ? kamalpr@gmail.com (IndianTechie) (2007-05-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Satish Chandra Gupta <scgupta@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 27 Apr 2007 11:31:00 -0400
Posted-Date: 27 Apr 2007 11:31:00 EDT

> I faced a question during my research on desing and implementation of
> programming language. The question arises from area of type binding
> and checking in design of programming languages. question :
> Can we call a programming language which has both static type
> checking and static type binding a strongly type programming
> language; if so why and is there any programming language with these
> characteristics.

Hi,

You might already be aware of a book by Benjamin C. Pierce titled
"Types and Programming Languages"
(http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/tapl/).

I am describing here in very brief, strongly typed languages has a
sound type system characterized by 2 properties: progress and
preservation. The progress is: given an expression e, it is either a
value, or the evaluation of e progresses to another expression e'. The
preservation is: if e is of type T, and evaluation of e progresses to
e', then type of e' is still T.

I understand that these 2 rules sound very abstract, but Benjamin's
book start from a very simple language examples to modeling quite
complex languages with sub-typing, but still keeping these 2 rules at
kernel. I found that amazing. People have also done type system for a
small subset of Java (Featherweight Java) which preserves OO
characteristics such as classes, inheritance, dynamic typecasts and
generics/templates (http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=503505),
perhaps you want to take a look at that.

+satish
http://vcard.acm.org/~satish.gupta