Re: Java compiler courses

Chris Dollin <chris.dollin@hp.com>
23 Apr 2007 07:54:29 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Java compiler courses wookiz@hotmail.com (wooks) (2007-04-20)
Re: Java compiler courses rjshaw@netspace.net.au (Russell Shaw) (2007-04-23)
Re: Java compiler courses ajohnson@mathworks.com (Andy Johnson) (2007-04-23)
Re: Java compiler courses gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2007-04-23)
Re: Java compiler courses DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2007-04-23)
Re: Java compiler courses chris.dollin@hp.com (Chris Dollin) (2007-04-23)
Re: Java compiler courses 148f3wg02@sneakemail.com (Karsten Nyblad) (2007-04-25)
Re: Java compiler courses wookiz@hotmail.com (wooks) (2007-04-25)
Re: Java compiler courses DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2007-04-25)
Re: Java compiler courses torbenm@app-7.diku.dk (2007-04-26)
Re: Java compiler courses usenet@gmx.info (Michael Klemm) (2007-04-26)
Re: Java compiler courses gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2007-04-26)

From: Chris Dollin <chris.dollin@hp.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Apr 2007 07:54:29 -0400
Posted-Date: 23 Apr 2007 07:54:29 EDT

wooks wrote:

> Why do they exist.

Java compiler courses? For people who want to write compilers,
and are willing to learn using Java.

> Why would anybody want to teach a compiler course in Java when it
> seems that there are more and better resources (books, tools)
> supporting a compilers course based on C (aside from the obvious -
> students are taught Java and not C).

I'm not sure that your premise is correct, and I'm not sure why
you're so willing to discount the obvious.

> Why would anybody want to write a compiler in Java (unless it's the
> only language they know).

It's got type checking [1] (and with new! added! generics!), garbage
collection, polymorphism, portability to a useful range of systems,
and extensive libraries.

Why shouldn't people want to write compilers in Java?

[Disclaimer: Java isn't my favourite language by any means, and I /have/
  written a compiler-plus-shortcode-interpreter in C, but I don't see
  any deep reasons why one shouldn't write a compiler in Java.]

[1] I mean the sort that helps you avoid mistakes, not the sort that
        insists that it has to be done at compile-time and leaves you
        solitary and afraid at run-time.

--
"Life is full of mysteries. Consider this one of them." Sinclair, /Babylon 5/