Re: 32-bit vs. 64-bit x86 Speed

Ian Rogers <ian.rogers@manchester.ac.uk>
13 Apr 2007 01:32:40 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
32-bit vs. 64-bit x86 Speed jlforrest@berkeley.edu (Jon Forrest) (2007-04-11)
Re: 32-bit vs. 64-bit x86 Speed gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2007-04-13)
Re: 32-bit vs. 64-bit x86 Speed marcov@stack.nl (Marco van de Voort) (2007-04-13)
Re: 32-bit vs. 64-bit x86 Speed anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2007-04-13)
Re: 32-bit vs. 64-bit x86 Speed DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2007-04-13)
Re: 32-bit vs. 64-bit x86 Speed ian.rogers@manchester.ac.uk (Ian Rogers) (2007-04-13)
Re: 32-bit vs. 64-bit x86 Speed meissner@the-meissners.org (Michael Meissner) (2007-04-13)
Re: 32-bit vs. 64-bit x86 Speed georgeps@xmission.com (George Peter Staplin) (2007-04-13)
Re: 32-bit vs. 64-bit x86 Speed tmk@netvision.net.il (Michael Tiomkin) (2007-04-13)
Re: 32-bit vs. 64-bit x86 Speed dot@dotat.at (Tony Finch) (2007-04-13)
Re: 32-bit vs. 64-bit x86 Speed kenney@cix.compulink.co.uk (2007-04-13)
Re: 32-bit vs. 64-bit x86 Speed DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2007-04-14)

From: Ian Rogers <ian.rogers@manchester.ac.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 13 Apr 2007 01:32:40 -0400
Posted-Date: 13 Apr 2007 01:32:40 EDT

Jon Forrest wrote:
> Let's say you're a Linux user who never needs to run programs that
> don't fit in 32-bits. Would you run a 32-bit or a 64-bit version of
> Linux? You compiler people probably have intimate knowledge of the ISA
> issues here so I'm interested in what you have to say.

In a JVM you have a choice of how you represent the object references.
One technique is to used compressed references. Compressed references
prevent the problem that references make your objects bigger and waste
cache space, at some arithmetic/logic cost. There are some results for
this on BEA's web site:

http://edocs.bea.com/jrockit/releases/5026x/relnotes/relnotes.html#wp1078122

Also in relation to your question, there are issues with how well the
ISA maps to the microarchitecture. I believe early Intel EM64T
processors had worse performance in "long mode" than in regular 32bit
protected mode. I would imagine that now both modes map and perform
just as well. In recent optimization manuals Intel have deprecated the
use of the 32bit increment and decrement operations, as in long mode
these are used as prefix operations to address the 8 extra
registers. This would suggest long mode was becoming the norm, just as
protected mode slowly took over from the segment:offset way of viewing
memory.

In a 64bit Linux you always have the choice to compile and run
applications as 32bit. GCC provides the -m32 flag for this purpose.

Regards,

Ian Rogers