Re: Suggestion for dynamic grammar/parser - pls advise

John Sasso <jsassojr@nycap.rr.com>
30 Mar 2007 23:07:11 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Suggestion for dynamic grammar/parser - pls advise jsassojr@nospam.com (John Sasso) (2007-03-29)
Re: Suggestion for dynamic grammar/parser - pls advise mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de (Dmitry A. Kazakov) (2007-03-29)
Re: Suggestion for dynamic grammar/parser - pls advise DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2007-03-29)
Re: Suggestion for dynamic grammar/parser - pls advise cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2007-03-29)
Re: Suggestion for dynamic grammar/parser - pls advise mefrill@yandex.ru (mefrill) (2007-03-30)
Re: Suggestion for dynamic grammar/parser - pls advise nicola.musatti@gmail.com (Nicola Musatti) (2007-03-30)
Re: Suggestion for dynamic grammar/parser - pls advise jsassojr@nycap.rr.com (John Sasso) (2007-03-30)
Re: Suggestion for dynamic grammar/parser - pls advise DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2007-04-01)
Re: Suggestion for dynamic grammar/parser - pls advise Meyer-Eltz@t-online.de (Detlef Meyer-Eltz) (2007-04-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: John Sasso <jsassojr@nycap.rr.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 30 Mar 2007 23:07:11 -0400
Posted-Date: 30 Mar 2007 23:07:11 EDT

Chris F Clark wrote:
> John Sasso <jsassojr@nospam.com> writes:
>
>> I have a question regarding implementing a proper dynamic
>> grammar/parsing scheme for a parser which is scalable such that it can
>> easily be extended to recognize new versions of a language, as well as
>> be able to recognize whether a program written in a specific version
>> of a language is recognizable by the grammar specific to the
>> particular version of the language. I'll try and clarify with a
>> simple example below.
>
> Some parts of this problem are hard (e.g. tokens that change on the
> character level) and don't have canned solutions to my knowledge.
> However, other parts aren't too bad.

Chris, thank you for responding to my post. Yeah, I didn't think the
problem at hand would be easy to solve, and I am not a compiler guru,
so I thought I'd ask the experts out there to get their 2c worth.

> 1) If you use a table driven parser and have the ability to generate
> and read in new tables, then you have the basic mechanism you need.
> It's not so easy with recursive-descent parsers, unless you
> "interpret" (rather than compile) them. Table driven parsers are
> naturally interpreted.
>
> Note, from what I understand, the GOLD parser generator specifically
> focusses on that feature, parser tables that can be written out/read
> in. We had a similar feature in the 1.x versions of Yacc++, but
> dropped it when we went for more idiomatic C++ in 2.x, where each
> output product is one .h file and one .C file. The files containing
> the tables to be interpreted did not fit naturally in that scheme and
> instead got folded into the .C file, although it would not be
> difficult to re-divorce them, just no one has asked for that feature.
>
> 2) One way to handle the language variation problems is to use
> inheritance. To me, one of the grate innovations in OO
> programming, was enabling the use of inheritance, which allows one
> to build hierarchies, where A is like B except for the following
> differences....
>
> Yacc++ supports grammar inheritance and so do other tools, e.g. ANTLR.
>
> 3) At run-time, you might want a more flexible input format, such as
> GLR parsing or PEGs. PEGs in particular, allow you to order the
> rules (like syntactic predicates do). That my useful in solving
> your try this format, if not that, try this other format
> problem. Note, most PEGs are essentially interpreted (table driven)
> recursive descent with implicit predicates, so that might be near
> the optimal solution, if you can find one that writes out/reads in
> the tables.

Chris, I'll look into your suggestions further (i.e. ANTLR, GLR parsing,
PEGs). I appreciate your input!

--john