Adding an interpreted language to program

"me262" <me262c@gmail.com>
29 Mar 2007 01:01:16 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Adding an interpreted language to program me262c@gmail.com (me262) (2007-03-29)
Re: Adding an interpreted language to program me262c@gmail.com (me262) (2007-03-29)
Re: Adding an interpreted language to program lkrupp@pssw.com (Louis Krupp) (2007-03-30)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "me262" <me262c@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 29 Mar 2007 01:01:16 -0400
Posted-Date: 29 Mar 2007 01:01:16 EDT

Hi,

    I am facing a task of hooking up my program to an intepreted
language for front end. I know nothing about compiler theory. Is there
a step-by-step guide on how to do that?

    I looked into some tools such and ANTLR and GOLD. Somehow, they
would produce an AST. But how do I work it to do things that are
useful, for example, printing "Hello world: we saw a = 10?".

    Thanks,
[This question comes up a lot, and the best advice is NOT to try to
write your own interpreter. There are plenty of interpreted languages
already such as TCL, Lua, and Python, any of which can be used to
drive your application. -John]