ANTLR and LEX states

"Amal" <akhailtash@gmail.com>
29 Mar 2007 00:56:59 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
ANTLR and LEX states akhailtash@gmail.com (Amal) (2007-03-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Amal" <akhailtash@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 29 Mar 2007 00:56:59 -0400
Posted-Date: 29 Mar 2007 00:56:59 EDT

How do you rewrite/convert lex grammars that include states to ANTLR?
There is a simple example in the ANTLR documentation, but it is not
clear to me how to convert a grammar similar to the following.

This is a snippet from VCD parser from Maarten Ditzel.

%x text

%{
%}

s [[:space:]]

%%

<INITIAL>{s}+ { /* skip whitespace */ }

\$comment { BEGIN(text); return TK_COMMENT; }
\$version { BEGIN(text); return TK_VERSION; }

<text>\$end { BEGIN(INITIAL); return TK_END; }
<text>. { yylineno--; yymore(); }
<text>\n { yylineno--; yymore(); }
<text>./\$end { sval = yytext; return TK_TEXT; }
<text>\n/\$end { sval = yytext; return TK_TEXT; }

Basically I am trying to parse something like:

$comment
    any character here
    including CR/LF
$end

$version
    any character here
    including CR/LF
$end

There are a lot more states in this grammar, but it would be
appreciated if anyone has hints for converting this snippet of the
grammar.

Thanks,
-- Amal