Re: Seeking cheaper alternative to Visual Parse++

Chris F Clark <cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com>
20 Mar 2007 08:53:04 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Seeking cheaper alternative to Visual Parse++ peter.from.singapore@gmail.com (2007-03-19)
Re: Seeking cheaper alternative to Visual Parse++ cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2007-03-20)
Re: Seeking cheaper alternative to Visual Parse++ zvr@pobox.com (Alexios Zavras) (2007-03-23)
Re: Seeking cheaper alternative to Visual Parse++ gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2007-03-26)
Re: Seeking cheaper alternative to Visual Parse++ Meyer-Eltz@t-online.de (Detlef Meyer-Eltz) (2007-03-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Chris F Clark <cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 20 Mar 2007 08:53:04 -0400
Posted-Date: 20 Mar 2007 08:53:04 EDT

> does anyone know of a cheaper alternative to Visual Parse++ ? It
> need not necessarily be free, but I can't afford $500.

If you are just doing "personal" stuff, I'm in the process of
releasing a free version of Yacc++, based loosely(*) on the 2.1
version we shipped. The library will be GPL and the generator while
not yet open source, will be free for non-commercial use (and the
generated code will be GPL). If you want that copy of the generator
for commercial use, we will license it for $250. We will eventually
(within the year) release a version of the generator open source.

You can also get support for the free version for $250/year. Later,
we will have a pay-per-incident program, but the details on that
haven't been worked out. Note, we don't intend to charge for things
we determine are actually our bugs.

*) Loosely in the sense that the generator will be stripped of some of
the post 2.1 features (predicates for example), but the libraries and
generator will otherwise be of recent vintage including all bug fixes.

It will be a few weeks before I get the web-site updated to reflect
this.

Note, Yacc++ doesn't currently have a visual gui like vp++ had. We
had a gui version (on Sun workstations) earlier, but found it not
worth porting.

Hope this helps,
-Chris

23 Bailey Rd voice : (508) 435-5016
Berlin, MA 01503 USA fax : (978) 838-0263 (24 hours)