Re: Compiler textbook available online

"Uncle Noah" <nkavv@skiathos.physics.auth.gr>
16 Mar 2007 15:40:03 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler textbook available online torbenm@app-5.diku.dk (2007-03-16)
Re: Compiler textbook available online nkavv@skiathos.physics.auth.gr (Uncle Noah) (2007-03-16)
Re: Compiler textbook available online Juergen.Kahrs@vr-web.de (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen_Kahrs?=) (2007-03-17)
Re: Compiler textbook available online asaivineetp@gmail.com (Computer Wizard) (2007-03-19)
Re: Compiler textbook available online torbenm@app-4.diku.dk (2007-03-19)
Re: Compiler textbook available online tommy.thorn@gmail.com (Tommy Thorn) (2007-03-21)
Re: Compiler textbook available online nkavv@skiathos.physics.auth.gr (Uncle Noah) (2007-03-23)

From: "Uncle Noah" <nkavv@skiathos.physics.auth.gr>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 16 Mar 2007 15:40:03 -0400
Posted-Date: 16 Mar 2007 15:40:03 EDT

Torben Ęgidius Mogensen wrote:
> I have taught an undergraduate compilers course for over a decade. In
> the last several years, I have used my own textbook "Basics of
> Compiler Design". I have now decided to make this available online at
> http://www.diku.dk/hjemmesider/ansatte/torbenm/Basics/ .
>
> Torben Mogensen

Just had a glance over your book.

I could easily say that it is... great (and not just for a free book)!
Let me support my comments:

1. Chapters 6-10 deal with issues for real compilers. There is mention
of a real frontend (C) language, there is a realistic IR (intermediate
reprentation/language), issues with stack handling are discussed ina a
certain degree (what probably puzzles me the most in a compiler) and
the whole thing is set up towards compilation to assembly for register-
based machines (MIPS).

2. There is a formal way of giving the concepts which however seems
rather comprehensible.

3. Optimization are not really dealt here but i believe (from the
structure of the book) they are out of context after all. The proper
way is to optimize a correct compiler and not correct an optimized
compiler.

4. It looks like a mature text (of course in case of any errata i will
post here in this thread).

Kind regards
Nikolaos Kavvadias

PS: I recall some months ago that a Danish univ. released a nice (but
old) compiler named Alvilda. Does your work/research have any
connection to Alvilda?