expressions -- functions within function

"Mr.E" <mr.waverlye@verizon.net>
8 Mar 2007 09:40:37 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
expressions -- functions within function mr.waverlye@verizon.net (Mr.E) (2007-03-08)
Re: expressions -- functions within function ajo@alumni.cmu.edu (Arthur J. O'Dwyer) (2007-03-08)
Re: expressions -- functions within function mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de (Dmitry A. Kazakov) (2007-03-10)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Mr.E" <mr.waverlye@verizon.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 8 Mar 2007 09:40:37 -0500
Posted-Date: 08 Mar 2007 09:40:37 EST

How would you insert a generic function into the precedence parser?
Actually more specifically, is it possible to insert a representation
of a generic function that has parameters that allows functions with
formal parameters as arguments?

As I thought about the use of an operator precedence parser I
concluded that if I were to encounter an expression that contained a
parameterized function, there would not be a way for me to deal with a
new expression until the original was complete unless I instantiated
another stack to represent the new expression. Example:

a = FN thisFunction( b ,FN thatFunction( c + 1, FN
anotherFunction))

When I start to deal with FN thatFunction which has parameters and
expressions of its own, I would need to start a brand new stack. That
doesn't seem like a good idea. If this were a recursive descent
evaluation just recursively calling the procedure expr0 (the
expression entry point) would be the thing to do. I'm at a loss as to
how I would deal with parameterized functions that have parameterized
functions as expressions.

Would someone mind presenting some ideas that would assist me in
dealing with this problem?

Thanks,

W.