Martin Ward <>
25 Feb 2007 13:26:44 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
[6 earlier articles]
Re: PL/MIX (Allan Adler) (2007-02-09)
Re: PL/MIX (Allan Adler) (2007-02-11)
Re: PL/MIX (2007-02-12)
Re: PL/MIX (Peter Flass) (2007-02-12)
Re: PL/MIX (Allan Adler) (2007-02-16)
Re: PL/MIX (Martin Ward) (2007-02-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Martin Ward <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 25 Feb 2007 13:26:44 -0500
Posted-Date: 25 Feb 2007 13:26:44 EST

On Monday 12 Feb 2007 17:32, you wrote:
> Somewhat off-topic, but if you wanted to play with PL360, etc., there
> is an emulator for s/360 and s/370 that runs on a peecee (Hercules), and
> all the old software is freely available to run the old stuff.

There is also a 390 mainframe assembler and emulator called z390:

This is written in Java and runs under Windows, Linux and probably any
other system which has a Java runtime.

Dragging the subject back on topic: this would be ideal for anyone
who wants to write a compiler which generates 390 assembler
code and who doesn't have access to a real mainframe!

Martin Erdos number: 4
G.K.Chesterton web site:
[I gather the impetus for both 360 interpreters and for the 1980s
360 coprocessors for PCs was because mainframe debugging time was
very expensive and even with extra hardware, it was a lot
cheaper debugging on PCs. -John]