Re: TeX syntax?

A Johnstone <>
9 Feb 2007 09:02:31 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
TeX syntax? (Russell Shaw) (2007-02-08)
Re: TeX syntax? (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2007-02-09)
Re: TeX syntax? (A Johnstone) (2007-02-09)
Re: TeX syntax? (Allan Adler) (2007-02-09)
Re: TeX syntax? (Philipp Lucas) (2007-02-12)
Re: TeX syntax? (2007-02-16)
Re: TeX syntax? (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2007-02-16)
Re: TeX syntax? (2007-02-25)
Re: TeX syntax? (Jim Hill) (2007-02-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: A Johnstone <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 9 Feb 2007 09:02:31 -0500
Posted-Date: 09 Feb 2007 09:02:31 EST

Russell Shaw <> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've looked high and low without success. Where can i find
> something resembling the BNF of Knuth's TeX typesetting syntax?

Well, the stuff is in the TeXbook, but for most practical applications
that won't get you very far because TeX is a macro-processing
language, which has a tendency to blur (in practice although not in
theory) the syntax and the semantics of the language. Typical
user-visible features in plain or LaTeX involve many layers of macros.
When I try to parse LaTeX I usually just write a crude parser that
recognises LaTeX's special characters and gobbles up {} and []
delimited paramaters. The BNF is trivial.