Allan Adler <>
8 Feb 2007 13:31:44 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: PL/MIX (Roberto Waltman) (2007-02-07)
Re: PL/MIX (Max Hailperin) (2007-02-08)
Re: PL/MIX (Allan Adler) (2007-02-08)
Re: PL/MIX (Roberto Waltman) (2007-02-08)
Re: PL/MIX (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2007-02-08)
Re: PL/MIX (Steven Nichols) (2007-02-09)
Re: PL/MIX (Allan Adler) (2007-02-09)
Re: PL/MIX (Allan Adler) (2007-02-11)
Re: PL/MIX (2007-02-12)
[4 later articles]
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Allan Adler <>
Newsgroups: comp.programming,comp.compilers
Date: 8 Feb 2007 13:31:44 -0500
Posted-Date: 08 Feb 2007 13:31:44 EST

Roberto Waltman <> writes:

> Indeed. Adding "structured programming" control structures to a
> language is a simple exercise that has been repeated many times, using
> macros, (for assemblers with adequate macro facilities,) or with
> simple preprocessors for either assembly or higher level languages.

Since it is an exercise, is there perhaps a concise statement of that
exercise as an explicit exercise in some programming text? Preferably
something like, "Take the fake assembly language we defined in section
2 and enhance it with 'structured programming' control structures. For
example, add the following constructions and capabilities: ... "?

Thanks to the moderator's reply, I've located websites with
documentation on PL360, PL/M and LIL. In principle, by reading these
documents, I can find out what they have in common and infer what I
would want to do with Knuth's MIX. But that is a lot of work just to
obtain a precise definition. A statement of the exercise as an
explicit exercise would make that work unneccessary.
Allan Adler <>
[I think if you ask three people what structured programming is,
you'll get three different answers. There's probably general
agreement that if/then/else and while loops are OK, but it fuzzes out
a lot from there. -John]