Re: PL/MIX

Allan Adler <ara@nestle.csail.mit.edu>
8 Feb 2007 13:31:44 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: PL/MIX usenet@rwaltman.net (Roberto Waltman) (2007-02-07)
Re: PL/MIX max@gustavus.edu (Max Hailperin) (2007-02-08)
Re: PL/MIX ara@nestle.csail.mit.edu (Allan Adler) (2007-02-08)
Re: PL/MIX usenet@rwaltman.net (Roberto Waltman) (2007-02-08)
Re: PL/MIX gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2007-02-08)
Re: PL/MIX sdn@svpal.org (Steven Nichols) (2007-02-09)
Re: PL/MIX ara@nestle.csail.mit.edu (Allan Adler) (2007-02-09)
Re: PL/MIX ara@nestle.csail.mit.edu (Allan Adler) (2007-02-11)
Re: PL/MIX ArarghMail702@Arargh.com (2007-02-12)

From: Allan Adler <ara@nestle.csail.mit.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.programming,comp.compilers
Date: 8 Feb 2007 13:31:44 -0500
Posted-Date: 08 Feb 2007 13:31:44 EST

Roberto Waltman <usenet@rwaltman.net> writes:

> Indeed. Adding "structured programming" control structures to a
> language is a simple exercise that has been repeated many times, using
> macros, (for assemblers with adequate macro facilities,) or with
> simple preprocessors for either assembly or higher level languages.

Since it is an exercise, is there perhaps a concise statement of that
exercise as an explicit exercise in some programming text? Preferably
something like, "Take the fake assembly language we defined in section
2 and enhance it with 'structured programming' control structures. For
example, add the following constructions and capabilities: ... "?

Thanks to the moderator's reply, I've located websites with
documentation on PL360, PL/M and LIL. In principle, by reading these
documents, I can find out what they have in common and infer what I
would want to do with Knuth's MIX. But that is a lot of work just to
obtain a precise definition. A statement of the exercise as an
explicit exercise would make that work unneccessary.
--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler <ara@zurich.csail.mit.edu>