Re: The development tendency of compilation tech?

"Nick" <Ibeam2000@gmail.com>
28 Jan 2007 01:41:07 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
The development tendency of compilation tech? yunzhi@intec.iscas.ac.cn (Yunzhi Xue) (2007-01-15)
Re: The development tendency of compilation tech? derek@knosof.co.uk (Derek M. Jones) (2007-01-15)
Re: The development tendency of compilation tech? Juergen.Kahrs@vr-web.de (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen_Kahrs?=) (2007-01-15)
Re: The development tendency of compilation tech? walter@bytecraft.com (Walter Banks) (2007-01-16)
Re: The development tendency of compilation tech? roar.foshaug@systor.st (Roar) (2007-01-17)
Re: The development tendency of compilation tech? emailamit@gmail.com (Amit Gupta) (2007-01-20)
Re: The development tendency of compilation tech? Ibeam2000@gmail.com (Nick) (2007-01-28)
Re: The development tendency of compilation tech? Peter_Flass@Yahoo.com (Peter Flass) (2007-01-31)
Re: The development tendency of compilation tech? bvanevery@gmail.com (Brandon J. Van Every) (2007-01-31)
Re: The development tendency of compilation tech? stevem@ans.com.au (Steve Murray) (2007-01-31)
Re: The development tendency of compilation tech? tom@infoether.com (Tom Copeland) (2007-01-31)
Re: The development tendency of compilation tech? DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2007-01-31)
Re: The development tendency of compilation tech? bmoses-nospam@cits1.stanford.edu (Brooks Moses) (2007-02-16)

From: "Nick" <Ibeam2000@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 28 Jan 2007 01:41:07 -0500
Posted-Date: 28 Jan 2007 01:41:07 EST

> One tendency that has come during the last ten years, is that of
> compiling to byte code for virtual machines.

> Another trend, not in compilers as such, but related, is the tendency,
> due to ever faster machines, to write larger and larger programs in
> interpreted code.

What's new in compilers? Very little. I think in 10 years, compiling
will be largely forgotten.

Diversity in computing is over. Long gone are the days of
free-spirited innovation, today hardware and software development
appear to be in a sort of lock step. More and more computing is done
with the products of Big Brothers 1 and 2, and management appears to
have been conditioned not to accept anything outside of the
mainstream.

Except maybe where there is lots to be gained by more performant and
non-conformant application software, there is reduced incentive to
accept or develop anything like a new language, let alone compile it.
What ever happened to massively parallel and array architectures, or
more accurately, why doesn't any of this ever reach the mainstream?

Generally, the average workstation or laptop spends most of its time
waiting on mouse clicks, as computing horsepower is much more than
enough for the average user. Thus applications written in interpreted
languages perform acceptably, where this would not have been the case
before say the introduction of the 386.

Compilation is the economic necessity of underperforming hardware.