Re: The development tendency of compilation tech?

Walter Banks <walter@bytecraft.com>
16 Jan 2007 22:57:06 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
The development tendency of compilation tech? yunzhi@intec.iscas.ac.cn (Yunzhi Xue) (2007-01-15)
Re: The development tendency of compilation tech? derek@knosof.co.uk (Derek M. Jones) (2007-01-15)
Re: The development tendency of compilation tech? Juergen.Kahrs@vr-web.de (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen_Kahrs?=) (2007-01-15)
Re: The development tendency of compilation tech? walter@bytecraft.com (Walter Banks) (2007-01-16)
Re: The development tendency of compilation tech? roar.foshaug@systor.st (Roar) (2007-01-17)
Re: The development tendency of compilation tech? emailamit@gmail.com (Amit Gupta) (2007-01-20)
Re: The development tendency of compilation tech? Ibeam2000@gmail.com (Nick) (2007-01-28)
Re: The development tendency of compilation tech? Peter_Flass@Yahoo.com (Peter Flass) (2007-01-31)
Re: The development tendency of compilation tech? bvanevery@gmail.com (Brandon J. Van Every) (2007-01-31)
Re: The development tendency of compilation tech? stevem@ans.com.au (Steve Murray) (2007-01-31)

From: Walter Banks <walter@bytecraft.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 16 Jan 2007 22:57:06 -0500
Posted-Date: 16 Jan 2007 22:57:06 EST

"Derek M. Jones" wrote:

> Hello Yunzhi Xue,
>
> > I'm working on a survey of the development tendency of compilation
> > technology. But there are too many issues and I am such a Green
> > Hand. So could anybody please tell my about the possible major trend
> > of compilation tech?
>
> > [So what's new in compilers this year? -John]
>

> Can we predict how long it will be before gcc is the world's only C
> compiler? It provides tough competition and there are not many
> commercial vendors left.

GCC is showing its age. It does make the risk of new compiler idea's
much higher. It also shows that support provides a viable revenue
stream.

GCC has made few inroads in application areas where tool price is a
small percentage of development costs.

GCC based tools have made very little inroads into volume small
embedded applications, processors with unusual instruction sets or
multiple processor applications

> o the effort required to write a commercial quality compiler
> will continue to grow and fewer and fewer of them will be written.

No argument. Good compiler implementation is a labor intensive activity.

My trend choice is multiprocessor support from a single source
application. It is happening now in specialized applications.

w..
Byte Craft Limited