Re: typechecking break-statement (=?iso-8859-1?q?Torben_=C6gidius_Mogensen?=)
4 Dec 2006 08:29:18 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
typechecking break-statement (cp) (2006-12-01)
Re: typechecking break-statement (Matthias Blume) (2006-12-01)
Re: typechecking break-statement (cp) (2006-12-03)
Re: typechecking break-statement (2006-12-04)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (=?iso-8859-1?q?Torben_=C6gidius_Mogensen?=)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 4 Dec 2006 08:29:18 -0500
Posted-Date: 04 Dec 2006 08:29:18 EST

"cp" <> writes:

> I was wondering if anyone could give me any pointers (not C pointers)
> on how to typecheck for the occurence of a break-statement outside a
> loop. I'm using the imperative side of SML/Moscow ML language.

You could ask your lecturer (i.e., me). As Matthias pointed out,
having an inherited attribute that tells you if you are inside a loop
will do the trick. Or you can postpone the check until code
generation, where you need an attribute to tell you where to go.
Using a special value (such as NONE) tells you that you aren't in a
loop, so you must make the error message instead of generating code.