Re: Loop dependency analysis for C programs

Sid Touati <Sid.Touati@inria.fr>
1 Dec 2006 09:18:40 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Loop dependency analysis for C programs renjith.varma@gmail.com (renjith.varma@gmail.com) (2006-11-29)
Re: Loop dependency analysis for C programs DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2006-11-29)
Re: Loop dependency analysis for C programs renjith.varma@gmail.com (renjith.varma@gmail.com) (2006-11-30)
Re: Loop dependency analysis for C programs dima@rts.ua (Dmitry Marienko) (2006-12-01)
Re: Loop dependency analysis for C programs Sid.Touati@inria.fr (Sid Touati) (2006-12-01)
Re: Loop dependency analysis for C programs notme@nowhere.com (Paul Anderson) (2006-12-01)
Re: Loop dependency analysis for C programs neal.wang@gmail.com (neal) (2006-12-01)
Re: Loop dependency analysis for C programs robert.hundt@gmail.com (Robert H) (2006-12-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Sid Touati <Sid.Touati@inria.fr>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 1 Dec 2006 09:18:40 -0500
Posted-Date: 01 Dec 2006 09:18:40 EST

renjith.varma@gmail.com a écrit :

> But how can CFG help in loop dependency analysis. I want to find out
> whether the iterations of a particular loop are paralleizable. For this
> i need to get the loop index variable and anyother variables depending
> on that.
>
> I got one parser named 'ELSA'. It has the option to write the AST into
> an XML file. I think i can use some xml parser to get an AST data
> structure from that. But is there any other tool that provides an AST
> that can be directly used in my program?

This problem has been solved one or two decades ago for high performance
computing in Fortran (HPF).
In C, unless you use pointers or function calls, it's the same problem.

There is a great litterature in data dependance analysis of loop nests.
The best way to model loop nest (for static control programs) is to use
the polyhedra model.

You can study the work of Paul Feautrier (published in the international
journal of parallel programming). Or you can read some academic books
about automatic parallelization.