Re: Making my first compiler

Matthias Blume <blume@tti-c.org>
29 Nov 2006 11:53:52 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Re: Making my first compiler firefly@diku.dk (Peter \Firefly\Lund) (2006-09-25)
Re: Making my first compiler monnier@iro.umontreal.ca (Stefan Monnier) (2006-11-23)
Re: Making my first compiler ValdoFerrari@libero.it (Valdo Ferrari) (2006-11-24)
Re: Making my first compiler torbenm@app-0.diku.dk (2006-11-27)
Re: Making my first compiler z2345678998765432y@sbcglobal.net (John) (2006-11-29)
Re: Making my first compiler torbenm@app-3.diku.dk (2006-11-29)
Re: Making my first compiler blume@tti-c.org (Matthias Blume) (2006-11-29)
Re: Making my first compiler DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2006-12-01)
Re: Making my first compiler blume@tti-c.org (Matthias Blume) (2006-12-01)
Re: Making my first compiler DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2006-12-03)
Re: Making my first compiler stevem@ans.com.au (Steve Murray) (2006-12-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Matthias Blume <blume@tti-c.org>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 29 Nov 2006 11:53:52 -0500
Posted-Date: 29 Nov 2006 11:53:52 EST

>>> Which language you suggest to write compilers today? ...

> Rather than just picking out a language in which to write a compiler,
> it would be advisable to fully understand the features and
> requirements of the programming language you are trying to compile.

What does one thing have to do with the other? I have written
compilers for a wide range of languages and targets, including
super-low-level code for IXP network processor micro-engines at one
end and high-level functional and object-oriented languages for
general-purpose CPUs at the other, all in ML.

What features of the language that you are trying to compile would
affect the choice of the language that one uses to write the compiler?