building a lexer generator
29 Nov 2006 11:07:24 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
building a lexer generator (2006-11-29)
Re: building a lexer generator (Karsten Nyblad) (2006-12-01)
Re: building a lexer generator (2006-12-01)
Re: building a lexer generator (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2006-12-03)
Re: building a lexer generator (2007-01-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 29 Nov 2006 11:07:24 -0500
Posted-Date: 29 Nov 2006 11:07:24 EST

I'M Trying To Build A Lexer Generator But I'Ve Only Been Hand Coded
Lexer Before So I'M A Bit Stuck On The Design Side.

I've already done searches on the various steps needed to build such
tools but i still miss some points. For example, when i have five
keywords and one identifier definition how do the lexer process them ?
Does it have a DFA for each keywords and the identifier or does it
process all with the same FSM ? I would bet on the second one but
this mean that i must merge all the DFA (or i surely missed

I'll accept gladly any URL that sounds like "lexer generators for

[Flex makes one big merged DFA. -John]